Tuesday 20 November 2012

Sexuality

Women are exploited in video games and the media in general, because frankly, sex sells. Why put an average-busted Laura Croft in Tomb Raider when you can make her have boobs as big as her head? Why not get Kate Upton to eat a burger in the least practical (but sexy) way in Carl’s Junior Commercials? Why just make nuns attack Agent 47 in the Hitman Absolution trailer when you can have scantily-clad sexy nuns do it? Look at any given female comic-book hero and tell me that women look like that. You can't. And I’m not even going to begin to talk about what is wrong with Team Ninja’s idea of boob physics (here’s a hint, they don’t move that way). I don’t think the problem so much needs to be the toning back of sexualisation of women (though a little bit couldn’t hurt), as much as I think that we need to balance it a little with the sexualisation of men as well. If you are going to be catering to one side of the sexual spectrum, you might as well cater to the other side as well. Many gay men and women will thank the media for it in the long run.

And just a note to women: don't get all huffy if a man finds you sexually attractive. That doesn't mean they see you as a piece of meat. There will be men like that, but don't be so sexist and degrading to the male half of our species and just ASSUME they want you nothing more than for your body. You're lying if you say that you've never stared at a guy you thought was attractive. You're lying if you claim to have never liked a person based on pure looks. Just realize that both sides do it, and get over yourselves. That being said, if some guy slaps you on the ass when you don't know him, I think you're fully within your rights to tell him off. Use your judgement when talking to men, and don't just assume that all men are frat-boys. Cause they aren't. Moreover, be able to admit to yourself that you, as a human, are a sexual being and at some point or another have objectified a man. Be mature enough to do that.

Sexuality is not a thing to be FEARED. It's a thing that really should be just accepted about ourselves. Everybody is a bit different, and as far as I see it, as long as it doesn't involve living creatures incapable of consenting (children, animals, etc) or hurting someone else, I don't see the problem with it. I don't see an issue with furries (people who dress up as animals while having sex), or people who have foot fetishes. I don't understand it, but I can't explain why I like what I like either, so why should I judge them?

I think we all need to calm down, and just take a deep breath regarding people's sexual identity. What people do in their own bedrooms is their own business. I won't dictate what you find sexually attractive, at least do the same for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment